New England Clam Chowder is one of the most popular soups in the US!
- 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 2 tbsp.red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. rosemary and thyme
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 3 pieces cooked and chopped bacon.
- Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and herbs.
- Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth.
- Stir in vegetables and clam juice.
- Heat through, but be sure not to boil.
- Stir in clams just before serving.
- When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.