Simple Chiles Relleno Recipe! How to make chile rellenos. Here’s an easy approach that will please any Mexican Food lover.
- 4 large poblano chiles
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can will do)
- 1 cup shredded jack or pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded jack or pepper jack for topping
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken meat
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange the poblanos on the sheet and place in heated oven on the top rack.
- Bake until the poblanos are basically burned or charred along the tops, and flip over.
- Peel off the charred skins.
- Cut a slit down the chiles lengthwise.
- Remove seeds.
- Mix spices and set aside.
- Combine chicken, cheese and 1/2 of the spice mixture.
- Stuff each poblano with approx. 1/2 cup of chicken/cheese/spice combo in each chile.
- Dip the chilies in the egg mixture and then dip in the bread crumbs for a light dusting.
- Coat a deep glass baking dish with oil.
- Arrange chilies and pour tomatoes mixed with remaining spice mixture.
- Top the tomato mixture with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered with foil for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.