This is a real crowd-pleaser. The Key Lime Pie is the “state pie” of Florida!
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (15 key limes or 5 green limes)
- 4 tsp. grated lime zest (grate the limes before squeezing)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 12 graham crackers, crumbled well
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. honey
- Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl for about 2 minutes or until tinted light greenish yellow.
- Whisk in the milk, then juice and set aside until it thickens.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a bowl. Make sure its a very fine crumb.
- Add butter, honey, and stir with a fork or fingers until well blended.
- Drop this mixture into a 9-inch pie tin and press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. You can use a metal measuring cup or anything with a flat firm bottom. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but make sure its firm.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Pour the filling into crust, spread evenly, and then bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Chill for a few hours or overnight before serving. I like to make two and freeze one for another day.