How to make a Thanksgiving or Christmas Turkey!
- 1 (18 lb.) whole turkey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 quarts turkey stock
- 8 cups prepared stuffing
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place rack in the lowest position of the oven.
- Remove the turkey neck and giblets, rinse the turkey, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan. Loosely fill the body cavity with stuffing.
- Rub the skin with the softened butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Position an aluminum foil tent over the turkey.
- Place turkey in the oven, and pour 2 cups turkey stock into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Baste generously every 15-30 minutes with pan liquids.
- Add stock when you notice the basting liquids getting low.
- Remove aluminum foil after 2 1/2 hours.
- Roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh reads 180F and/or about 4 hours.
- Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter, and let it stand for at least 20 to 30 minutes before carving. This step is very important.