My husband is pretty much obsessed with these things. If he spots them on a menu, they’ll sure enough appear at our table.
- 2 dozen fresh steamers, steamed and shucked
- oil for frying (I used veggie oil)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 can of beer (any light beer OK)
- sea salt and pepper
- tartar Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Add beer and mix until it is the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet or deep fryer until a drop of batter sizzles and bubbles when added to the oil.
- In batches, if necessary, dunk the clams into the batter and coat well, and fry the clams until golden brown, turning them over if necessary, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately with tartar sauce.