Sounds like the perfect Saturday morning breakfast doesn’t it? The chorizo sounds great, but feel free to substitute. It’s so versatile! Thank you to our Featured Foodie Lauren with healthy-delicious.com!
Easy Mexican Breakfast Braid
Recipe type: Lauren, healthy-delicious.com
- 1 (13.8 ounce can) refrigerated pizza dough
- 4 ounces (about 1 link) fresh chorizo
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped poblano pepper
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (she used fat free because she happened to have some, and it was fine)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. water
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Unroll the dough onto a baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray. Pat the dough into a 15×10 inch rectangle.
- Crumble the sausage into a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook until the sausage begins to brown.
- Add the onion and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened – about 5 minutes. Add the eggs and cook 1 or 2 minutes, or until just set.
- Sprinkle the Monterey Jack cheese lengthwise down the center of the dough, leaving a 2½ inch border around each side. Spoon the egg mixture evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle the cheddar over the egg mixture.
- Make 2 inch diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of the dough to about ½ inch of the filling, using kitchen shears. Arrange the strips over the filling, alternating strips diagonally over the filling. Press the ends under the braid to seal.
- Combine egg white and water in a small bowl. Brush over bread.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut crosswise into 6 slices.