What a fine way to cook this fish, thanks to our Featured Foodie, tasteslikehome.org. Done in about 20-25 minutes.
Grey Snapper in Coconut Milk
Author: Cynthia, tasteslikehome.org
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 pounds grey snapper fillets, cleaned and cut into 4 x1-inch thick pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup diced onions
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro, divided equally
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk or 1 cup canned coconut milk and 1 cup tap water
- Season fish lightly with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add ginger, onion and garlic, sprinkle salt, toss to mix and reduce heat to low and cook until the aromatics are softened, do not let them get brown.
- Stir in the turmeric and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to high and pour in coconut milk, add half of the cilantro, season lightly with salt and pepper. Let the pan come to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 - 6 minutes.
- Turn heat to high and place fish in pan in single layer, cover and let pan come to boil. As soon as the pan comes to a boil, remove the cover and let the fish cook for 6 - 8 minutes; spoon sauce over the fish to baste as it cooks or if you like, carefully flip fish over halfway during the cooking process.
- Toss in the remaining cilantro and shake pan for it to settle into sauce; taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Let the dish rest for a couple of minutes then serve while still hot.