How to caramelize onions. Onion topping for pizza, pasta, meats…the possibilities are endless.
- 1 onion (red or white) sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Heat butter and oil in a medium sized pan
- Once the butter has melted and is hot, add the onions.
- Sprinkle the salt over the onions.
- The salt will help to draw water and dissolved sugars out of the onion’s cells.
- Cook the onions over medium low heat.
- This portion of the process is called sweating, which allows for the water to release into the pan and then evaporate slowly.
- Stir the onions every couple of minutes, and adjust the heat so you here just the merest sizzle.
- The process can take anywhere from ten to fifteen minutes or longer if it was a larger onion.
- The key is to achieve a golden brown color without burning the onions.
- Good luck!