a delicious side for harvest season!
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- sea salt
- 4 tbsp. butter (split in half)
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, heated in the microwave for 2 minutes
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan, shredded
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Boil a pot of water.
- Toss the cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Strain cauliflower.
- In a saucepan, melt half of the butter over low.
- Mix in the flour with a whisk.
- Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour combonation and stir until it reaches a boil.
- Whisk constantly until thickened.
- Remove from the stove and add salt, the pepper, nutmeg, mozzarella, and the Parmesan.
- Add 1/2 of the sauce to an 8 x 11 baking dish.
- Place the cauliflower on top and then mix with a spoon so the cauliflower is covered in sauce.
- Combine the bread crumbs with the remaining sauce and sprinkle over the top.
- Melt the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter and drizzle over the gratin.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned.
- Serve hot.