I’ve never made homemade crackers before, so I’m dying to try this “As seen on Martha Stewart Show recipe”.
Recipe type: Appetizer, Snack
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup hazelnut flour
- 1¼ tsp. coarse salt
- ¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups grated Gruyere cheese (grated using the small holes of a box grater)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Maldon sea salt, for garnish (optional)
- Place flours, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to combine. Add cheese and butter; pulse until blended. Add egg and cream; process until ingredients are moist and well combined but a dough will not form around the blade, 15 to 20 seconds.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on work surface. Turn dough out onto plastic wrap; press together until it forms a cohesive dough. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Using the plastic wrap to assist you, form each piece of dough into two square 5½-inch-by-1½-inch logs. Rewrap each log separately, twisting ends to flatten. Transfer logs to freezer until chilled, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with a rack set in center. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Using a sharp knife with a thin blade, slice dough crosswise into ⅛-inch-thick squares, turning log after each cut to help maintain shape. Transfer squares to prepared baking sheets. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush each square with water and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven. Bake until crisp and golden around the edges, about 12 minutes. Transfer crackers to a wire rack to cool.