I tried to make an authentic tasting Chile Relleno at home. Seriously, it was so delicious and made with fewer calories by eliminating the fried coating.
Simple Chile Rellenos
Author: Meredith Fuller
Recipe type: Entree, Mexican
If you like Mexican food with a kick, you must try this!
- 2 large green chilies (raw)
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 can hot enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso 10 oz.)
- 1 cup shredded or cubed pepper jack
- 2 egg whites, stirred
- Serve with tortilla chips and salsa if you wish!
- Cut a zig-zag pattern down the chili from stem to tip.
- Wash the chilies and remove seeds from the inside, keeping the chili in tact.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a glass baking dish, stuff the chilies with equal portions of rice and cheese, and pour the entire contents of the sauce over the top. The sauce will spill over into the baking dish.
- I chose to keep the chilies closed with a few toothpicks as pictured. This kept the stuffed chilies nice and moist!
- Place in the oven uncovered and bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour the egg whites carefully over the zig-zag (again the egg will spill over into the sauce and that's a good thing!
- Place back in the oven and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Plate and spoon the saucy spillage onto the plate.
- Serve with tortilla chips and even a dollop of sour cream, optional!