Carnitas- a Mexican pork dish with a crispy exterior and juicy-tender center. Great with tacos, burritos or salads!
Author: Meredith Fuller
Recipe type: Main, Mexican, Dinner,
- 3 lb.pork shoulder, cut into big chunks
- ½ cup veggie oil
- 1 cups salsa
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- In a large/deep saute pan, heat oil and add the pork.
- Sprinkle the pork chunks with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the garlic cloves and cover.
- Leave the pork alone for 5 minutes or so.
- Alternate sides and cover again.
- Once the pork has cooked through, you should shred the meat with a fork into smaller pieces.
- If the oil level is low, add a little extra to continue frying.
- This step is all about crisping those edges.
- When the edges are deep gold and crispy, stir in the salsa, and remove from heat.