It seems kale is popping up more and more in the culinary scene. Time to do something with it! Try this salad featuring kale, caramelized onions, cranberries, and pine nuts brought to us by our Featured Foodies from Duo Dishes!
Recipe type: Salad
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds kale (approx. 3-4 bunches of kale), stems removed and leaves very thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and red pepper flakes together in a large bowl. Add the kale and toss to coat. Using your fingers, rub the kale gently for 3-5 minutes or until the greens begin to wilt and soften. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a shallow pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar, tossing all of the ingredients in the pan. Season with the salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the water and continue cooking for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Top the wilted kale with the warm onions, pine nuts, cranberries and Parmesan cheese before serving.