Chocolate Biscotti made with simple and natural ingredients from our fabulous featured foodie, passionateaboutbaking.com, are so tasty! Must try!
Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cups top-quality cocoa powder (she used Hintz)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 small eggs, at room temperature
- ⅛ cup extra light olive oil
- ¾ cup vanilla sugar, or plain granulated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, scraped (optional)
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and very coarsely-chopped
- ¾ cups chocolate chips (she used dark)
- For the glaze
- 1 egg white
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, olive oil, sugar, vanilla beans and vanilla extract. (Thermomix: Speed 4 / 7-8 seconds)
- Fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the toasted chopped almonds and chocolate chips in the till well incorporated, and the cookie dough comes together. (Thermomix: Add the dry ingredients : Speed 3 / 10 seconds. If the dough is too firm, turn into a large bowl and add the nuts and chocolate chips. Mix to incorporate. Else, Reverse Speed 2 / 15 seconds).
- Divide the dough into half, and form into logs using slightly damp hands. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Bake for 25 minutes or until the dough feels firm. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Slice and place sides down on the cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, turning the baking sheet midway during baking, until the cookies feel mostly firm.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight box.