This is NOT a traditional jambalaya recipe, but I had some ingredients to use and it was just so darn easy!
Simple Jambalaya Recipe
Author: Meredith Lacie Fuller
Recipe type: Cajun
Again, I want to give you a heads up that this is not a traditional jambalaya recipe, but it brought back some fun memories from our time in New Orleans. Spicy dish.
- ½ of a (1 lb.) bag of sliced frozen mixed peppers
- 1 red or white onion, sliced
- 1 (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 oz.) can of black beans, strained
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- ½ of a 1lb. Kielbasa (I used turkey and sliced it on a diagonal)
- 1 boil in a bag portion of white rice (or 2 cups cooked rice)
- Prepare rice according to instructions.
- Preheat a pot to medium.
- Add the oil, salt, spices, peppers, onion, and stir.
- Preheat a grill pan and toss those kielbasa bites on top.
- Brown just enough to allow for some grill-marks.
- Add the beans and tomato sauce to the pepper mixture.
- Once the rice is ready, mix in with the veggie/bean mixture.
- Toss in the kielbasa.
- Stir and serve.
If you have a hungry husband like I do, this recipe is enough for two people.