OK, so you live in a Chik-fil-a dead zone or maybe you just want to make your very own at home…Here ya go!
Recipe type: Appetizer, Entree
This recipe is a must try! I recommend pairing with deep fried pickles!
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ cup peanut oil, divided (or vegetable oil)
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt, optional
- 1½ Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Whisk together egg, milk and pickle juice, and pour into a large ziplock bag or bowl.
- Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag.
- Shake to combine.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and add into the bag.
- Shake to coat the chicken completely.
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat (6 or 7 out of 10.)
- Test the oil by dropping in a bit of the flour mixture.
- If it sizzles, the oil is ready, if it pops, lower the temperature a bit.
- Gently place chicken pieces into the oil with tongs.
- Do this in 2 batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side.
- Turn the chicken over and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Heat the remaining oil and continue with the other half of the chicken pieces.
- Stir together the honey mustard dipping sauce ingredients, and serve with the hot chicken bites.