What?! We were not aware this was possible. Thanks to acoupleinthekitchen.us we now know it is!
Recipe type: Drinks
- 8 medium-to-large organic lemons
- 4 Meyer lemons
- 750 ml. bottle of grain alcohol (they used Everclear)
- 5 cups water
- 3 and ¼ cups sugar
- Thoroughly wash and dry the lemons. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skins from the lemons, taking care not to get any of the white pith, which will cause a bitter flavor.
- Put the peels in an airtight container and add the alcohol. Seal the container and shake well. Store the container in a cool, dark place for seven days.
- Each day, once a day, shake the container well. You will begin to see the alcohol take on a yellow tint - this is a good thing!
- On the seventh day, mix the sugar and water in a large saucepan. Heat it over medium heat until the sugar dissolves (no need to boil it) - this is simple syrup.
- Strain the lemon peels from the alcohol, then mix the alcohol with the simple syrup. You have now created homemade limoncello. Store in an airtight container or bottles as desired. Serve chilled.
Brought to you by A Couple in the Kitchen